In the past (up to Mac OS X 8), adding a label to one of our folders automatically changed the color of that folder to the color of the label. A very useful system for locating a certain folder, which disappeared with the arrival of new versions of the Mac operating system. The main reason was to homogenize the color of the desktop folders, leaving a single color point per label. . But that does not mean that we cannot change the color of a folder in macOS using the system’s own settings and without having to use third-party applications.
A change that will only affect the folder that we are going to edit , so you can practice freely without having to worry about it affecting all the folders in the system.
How to Change Folder Colour on Mac
Step 1. To change the default folder colour on mac firstly create a new folder on Mac. Right click on the desktop and click on new folder.
Step 2. Give the name to folder.
Step 3. Right click on the required folder and click on “Get Info”. A new window will pop-up with the name of your folder.
Step 4. Click on the folder icon .
Step 5. Let the folder remain selected. Now on the menu bar click on the “Edit”. Then click on “Copy”
Step 6. Open the launchpad and click on the preview.
Step 7. Once the preview is opened. On the menu bar click on “File” and then click on “New from Clipboard”
Step 8. A new window will open.
Step 9. Click on the pen shape icon ( markup tool) .
Step 10. Now look for the pyramid shape icon. It is the colour gradient.
Step 11. Click on the colour gradient. New window with the different colour setting will open. In this window you can adjust the colour of the folder.
Step 12. Change the different options like tint, Contrast etc to get the desired colour.
Step 13. Now click on the edit and then click on “Select All”
Step 14. Manually select the folder.
Step 15. Again go to the edit and select copy.
Step 16. Now go to the get info of the folder and again click on the folder.
Step 17. On the menu bar go to edit and click on paste.
Step 18. The colour of the folder in get info will change to colour you selected.
Step 19. Check the colour of the folder on your desktop. Now it must have changed to the colour of your choice. In this way you can change default folder colour on mac
How to customize Mac OS folder icons?
The characteristic blue color of Mac OS folders can be easily modified by an image that highlights the contents of the folder or to give it that personal touch you want.
- You must April the image with the preview application.
- Select the image (here you can select the complete image or some part of the image that you want to be in your folder).
- Click “Edit” and then “Copy . “
- Now you must move the cursor over the folder to which you want to change and press right click; when displaying a small menu you must select “Get information” .
- When the folder tab opens, you must click on the icon of the thumbnail folder (this icon appears on the left side of the folder name).
- Press the command key + V on the keyboard to paste the image you had previously copied.
- Now you can see your folder with the image you selected.
If the selected folder has subfolders, they will not change their blue color due to the image you placed in the folder; If you want these to have an image, you must follow the previous steps for each folder.
Advantages of customizing and changing the colors of your Mac Os folders:
- It allows you to sort your documents by color to easily identify them.
- Changing the color helps you work in a more orderly way.
- It saves you time and your work will be more productive.
- You will give a unique touch to your PC.
- Changing the characteristic blue color for an image that identifies the contents of the folder will help you get an idea of what the folder contains.
Dare to give that personal and unique touch to your Mac OS, customizing and changing the colors of the folders. But if at any time you want to hide all the folders on your Mac OS desktop, you can do it easily.