To clear the Windows 10 cache, especially files that are related to the former Windows update file, you can use 3 methods. The following details can help delete Windows 10 Update files easily.
Remove Windows 10 Cache
Remove Windows Update Cache – What is cache? Caches are small files that are stored in computer system storage and are actually not needed anymore. Usually, the cache is referred to as a junk file.
Some cache is hidden and some are not, you should delete these files so that your laptop or PC storage is not full and maintain laptop performance. For a more detailed explanation, read full article about cache.
In this article, we will explain how to clean and clear the cache of Windows 10 updates. This update cache is stored in a special directory to store files that need updating. Usually located in the directory C: Windows SoftwareDistribution Download.
How to Remove Windows 10 Cache Update
TechHow – There are 3 ways we recommend deleting this junk file. Detailed explanation on how to clear the update cache Windows 10 are as follows:
How To Manually Remove Windows 10 Cache Update
A very easy way is to clear the cache manually, here step-by-step his:
- First login to Windows as Administrator.
- Next open File Explorer and enter the C:\Windows\ SoftwareDistribution\Download directory.
- Delete all folders and files in the folder.
If this method does not successfully delete all the files in the folder, then please try to clear the cache via Command Prompt or with a batch file. The method is in the sub article below.
For those of you who want to clear all caches on a laptop with a Windows operating system, please read Guide to Erase Cache on Windows Laptops which has been written in full in the article. Or you can too Using CCleaner to Clean Up Trash Files on a Laptop which of course will speed up system performance, one of which Speed up Boot Windows 10 you, folks!
Remove Cache through Command Prompt (CMD)
The following method is recommended if the manual method does not work, that is, clear the Windows 10 update cache via cmd. Here is the complete tutorial :
- The first step you need to do is stop the Windows Update Service function temporarily by entering cmd by pressing the Windows button in the taskbar, then type ‘cmd’ then press ‘Ctrl + Shift + Enter‘ To open cmd as Administrator.
- After the cmd screen opens, then type net stop wuauserv then press ‘Enter’.
- Then follow the steps in the section Manual way by going to the directory C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download, in File Explorer and delete all folders and files in this directory.
- Then, after clearing the Windows update directory, open cmd again to type the net start wuauserv command and press ‘Enter’.
If you want to turn off or deactivate Windows 10 system updates, it’s very easy. Please follow How To Turn Off Windows 10 Update in the article.
Remove the Update Cache with the Batch File Command
The last easiest way is to create a batch file which is then all cached Windows 10 updates will be executed by this one file. In fact, you can save this file permanently on your PC or laptop and use it again for the same purpose going forward.
The following are easy steps to create a batch file to clear the Windows update cache:
- Open Notepad ++ or Notepad.
- Then copy the code below and paste it into Notepad.net
stop wuauserv CD% Windir% CD Software Distribution DEL / F / S / Q Download net start wuauserv
3. Then save the file by selecting the ‘File’ menu and then selecting ‘Save as’ then selecting the extension ‘All Files‘ then name the file ‘Remove Cache Update.bat’, Storage location can be anywhere.
4. Then after it’s done, right click on the file ‘Remove Cache Update.bat’ and select ‘Run as Administrator’ and wait a while until the command closes automatically.
5. Your Windows update cache file has been deleted.
Windows 10 system configuration is very important to be maintained and cared for. Before anything happens with the system configuration, please backup with How to Make a Restore Point in Windows 10 you and also learn how to overcome problems by learning How to enter Windows 10 Safe Mode.
How to Clean Windows 10 Cache Update – Which step is the easiest for you? We recommend choosing step # 3 because you can use the file that was created anytime you need to. Read also help article from Microsoft this.